Story of the Plantations
About Museum Bakkie
Former coffee plantation Reynsdorp (1744)
Plantation Reynsdorp (Bakkie) is a former coffee plantation (founded by Nicolaas Reynsdorp in 1744) with old locks and buildings. Museum Bakkie has one of the most unique private collections in Suriname, with many original books, prints, maps and objects. When you visit Bakkie, developer Bas Spek and Marsha Mormon (descendant / heiress / plantation developer) are ready to welcome you.
Bakkie is a very small-scale company with almost no staff. Going to Bakkie is to visit Marsha and Bas.
What does the day look like?
- Start in the morning at the location of your choice (Leonsberg, Leliendaal or Mon Tresor).
- Boat trip on the Commewijne river (possibility of dolphins).
- Arrival Plantation Bakkie (Reynsdorp).
- Museum tour through one of the initiators themselves (€10 p.p.) (Bas Spek or Marsha Mormon).
- Extensive local lunch (€10 p.p.) (incl. starter, juice and water).
- Walk and explanation in the garden with descendant / heiress Marsha Mormon.
- Explanation about the area and the latest developments (cycle path) by the initiators of this special project.
- Please bookyour tour (and lunch) in advance +597 8654130 app/tel.
- Boek ook all-inclusive bij uw boekingskantoor
Museum Bakkie heeft een unieke collectie die nergens anders in Suriname te zien is (eerste drukken J.G. Stedman 1796, Benoit 1893, Blaeu 1630, Anton de Kom 1934, Maria Sybilla Merian, bijzondere voorwerpen: Brandmerk, Kromboei, flessen etc).
A personal museum tour tells the story of the plantations and of Marsha's family, these unique museum pieces amaze the visitors:
“You don't expect such a Museum on a plantation“.
In the garden at Museum Bakkie you will find two lodges that are suitable for special rental to, for example, birdwatchers and researchers. There is a restaurant on Bakkie, but no swimming pool or entertainment.
Researchers and birdwatchers can contact us for lodging / food and transportation options.
Would you like to know more about Bakkie, the Warappakreek and the surroundings of Museum Bakkie? Take a look at our knowledge base. Here you will find more information about, for example, the history of the plantation, archaeological sites, the Warappakreek and special events around the plantation.
Click the button below to go to the knowledge base:
Museum Bakkie on the NOS Journaal The NOS Journaal of…
Plantation Reynsdorp (Bakkie) – Warappakreek When Marsha Mormon (born in…
NOS: ‘I hope they make their way back home…